Sunday, September 30, 2012

Are We Better Off?

The primary question of this election season is “Am I better off in 2012?” Jogging my memory back to the years between 2004 through 2008, I remember President George Bush neglecting one war, and, without true provocation, getting us into another war. Bush started his first term with a debt-free budget, and at the end of his second term, we were at least a trillion dollars in debt. Being the proud parent of a lesbian daughter, I never felt that a welcome mat was placed outside the Bush White House for her. Our LGBTQ soldiers were fighting in these wars for a beloved country who told them to keep their authentic selves hidden. Discrimination towards women in the work place was being ignored. Broad tax cuts were initiated for the wealthiest Americans while ignoring the right that all our citizens have access to health care.

When Obama was elected President I told my daughter: “Now I can give you a future.” But change is rarely a snap, especially when a country is going through economic hardship. True change takes time. But despite a mountain of political obstacles, Obama has kept many of his promises: He has gotten us out of the Iraqi war and will get us out of Afghanistan during his second term. He has given our LGBTQ soldiers dignity and respect by getting rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell. The White House welcomes my daughter as a treasured American citizen with all the rights of every other American citizen. One of the first acts Obama signed was the Lilly Ledbetter Act against discrimination in the workplace for women. Obama tackled the economy through financial regulation and auto/teacher/fireman job saving and job creation. He managed to pass a Health Care Law that needs some revision but will guarantee all a healthier life, including my 23 year old daughter.

Here in Oregon I travel by men and women working daily on our highways and bridges; I see construction workers revitalizing our downtown; I applaud the Occupy Movement for waking us up to our homeless/poverty problems and their drive for more permanent homeless transition camps and low cost/free health clinics. Obama knows that as a country we have a long way to go politically, economically and morally: The rich absolutely need to pay their fair share; we need to decrease poverty and homelessness; our economy can't take a new war in Iran. I'm not sure Romney gets it. Am I better off? With an intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate President who is fighting for my daughter, myself, our soldiers, our lower and middle classes, our children, you bet I am. Please vote!

© 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment